OUR RADON SERVICES
Assisted Management Solutions performs the following radon measurement services:
- Short-term and long-term radon measurements for Government, commercial, or residential customers and for real estate purposes
- Developing radon management and risk communication plans
- Inspecting mitigation systems
- Assisting decision makers with developing communication and mitigation strategies
Radon and its Health Effects:
Radon is a naturally occurring colorless, odorless, tasteless, radioactive gas that forms from the natural breakdown of uranium found in soil and rocks. The gas migrates into the air we breathe and can become dangerous to human health if trapped in air within our homes for prolonged periods. The Surgeon General warns that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. and that more than 20,000 Americans die of radon-related lung cancer each year. The EPA estimates that up to 8 million homes may have radon gas concentrations over the action level of 4.0 pCi/L.
Importance of Radon Testing:
Radon gas mapping has been completed in most regions of the U.S. However, these maps are poor indicators of radon concentration as radon can vary dramatically, even between two adjacent houses. Controlled testing by a licensed radon professional at AMS can determine the concentration of radon during the testing period. This information can then be used to determine the best method for mitigating any elevated levels of indoor radon gas. For any home owners or real estate agents interested in testing for radon, please visit the link below for more information:
- The AMS radon team previously worked with NSA Bethesda to complete a 2017-2018 installation-wide radon survey. Our team helped conduct a radon awareness campaign, deployed duplicate long-term radon detectors at over 600 locations, collected these devices, and analyzed the results.
- Our team developed the NSA Bethesda Radon Management Plan and Risk Communication Plan as well as SOPs for dealing with minor maintenance impacts on detectors and how to oversee installation of new mitigation systems.
- Based on the outcome of this survey, our team developed a radon mitigation plan to reduce indoor radon levels at locations that exceeded the action level of 4.0 pCi/L and provided a radon mitigation course.
- The AMS radon team led the radon survey effort at Naval Surface Warfare Center Carderock Division (NSWCCD) for 2017-2019. As part of the radon awareness campaign, our team conducted building-specific briefings with building managers and distributed awareness training materials to base personnel.
- Our team deployed radon measurement devices at over 1,700 locations and seven NSWCCD satellite locations across the country.
- We developed the NSWCCD Radon Management and Risk Communication Plan, which included procedures for releasing radon survey results to base personnel and the public.
- Our team analyzed survey results and recommended mitigation strategies for any areas with radon above action levels. A mitigation course was provided and customized to include actual survey results.
NAS Patuxent River:
- The AMS team led the radon survey effort at NAS Patuxent River, Webster Field Annex, and Navy Recreation Center Solomons during 2018-2019. We deployed long-term radon detectors at over 3,000 locations across the three installations and lead the installation-wide radon awareness radon informational campaign.
- As part of the survey, the AMS team assisted NAS Patuxent River in developing a Radon Management Plan and Risk Communication Plan to support their radon program.
For more information about radon testing and our pricing, feel free to call us at (240) 808-0111.