WATER RESOURCE ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT
AMS provides a broad spectrum of water-related technical services to help clients manage increasingly complex water resource challenges. The scientists and engineers of the AMS Water Team combine a wealth of expertise in the drinking water, wastewater, stormwater, and groundwater disciplines, enabling AMS to excel at planning, overseeing, and executing a variety of water resource engineering and management projects.
Our AMS Water Team provide services in the following areas:
- Water systems inspections, mapping, and design
- Best managment practices (BMP) and low-impact development (LID) designs
- Permit support and compliance reporting for Drinking Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater programs
- Drinking water vulnerability assessments and emergency response plans
- Plan development for sampling, conservation, wellhead protection, flushing, valve turning, cross-connection and backflow, etc.
- Development of water-related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Preparation of stormwater guidance and compliance manuals
- Stormwater, wastewater, groundwater, and drinking water sampling
Completed projects include LID/BMP planning and design for various clients, GIS survey of the Washington Navy Yard's potable water system and stormwater system, development of a valve exercise and flushing plan for the Navy Yard, development of Drinking Water Sampling Plans, Cross-Connection and Backflow Prevention Plans, and Wellhead Protection Plans for Naval Air Station Patuxent River Complex (NASPRC), and general compliance support for NASPRC water programs. See below for descriptions of our current and upcoming water-related projects.
- The AMS Water Team will develop and update a series of drinking water plans for the Washington Navy Yard (WNY), the U.S. Naval Observatory (NOBSY), and Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB). The project will include developing an Asbestos Monitoring Plan for WNY, updating the Asbestos Monitoring Plan for NOBSY, and combining individual drinking water site sampling plans (e.g. Lead and Copper, Nitrate/Nitrite, Revised Total Coliform plans) into a single installation Drinking Water Sampling Plan for WNY and JBAB.
- The AMS Water Team will conduct a Vulnerability Assessment and develop an Emergency Response Plan for the JBAB and Naval Support Activity Bethesda (NSAB) water systems in accordance with the Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002.
- Our team will provide stormwater program support for NSAB and NASPRC. Services at NSAB will include surveying the stormwater system and updating facility stormwater maps, developing a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP), preparing stormwater general awareness training modules, and labeling stormwater features. Services at NASPRC will include oversight of stormwater BMP repair and restoration, quarterly sampling of 20 stormwater outfalls, quarterly and annual inspections of stormwater features, and an update of the facility SWPPP.
- The AMS Water Team will provide wastewater (WW) services to Naval Support Activity Indian Head (NSFIH). The project will include a characterization of the NSFIH WW discharge process, sampling and analysis of facility WW discharge sources, preparation of a Waste Stream Characterization Summary Report and Pollution Mitigation Plan, and the development of WW Standard Operating Procedures for the facility.
- Our team currently conducts low-flow groundwater sampling and analysis for three landfills at Marine Corps Base Quantico.
General Program Support:
- Our team also provides ongoing compliance support for the NASPRC Drinking Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater programs.